In order to keep the body fit and healthy, our diet plays the most crucial role. Our health solely depends on what kind of diet one follows.
Over recent years, the DASH Diet has become quite popular. It is considered as the best and most effective diet which is recommended by most doctors. It not only helps an individual to maintain an ideal weight but also improves his overall health. According to the doctors of health institutes, it is the best diet a person can follow to become fit and healthier.
If you have no idea, what a DASH diet is then, don’t worry. We got you covered. In this article, we are providing everything you need to know about the DASH diet along with its benefits. Let’s check out.
What is the DASH diet? Why Should You Follow It?
DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It is a diet that was specially developed to deal with hypertension. But after some time, the researchers discovered that this diet does not only resolve hypertension but also treat several other problems like cholesterol level, heart stroke and is very effective in weight loss. Moreover, it is the best diet to prevent diabetes.
Scientists have given a rating of 3.5 to the “weightloss effectiveness” of Dash diet whereas a rating of 4.5 to its “overall health perspective” – which is great!
What Is The Concept Of DASH Diet And How To Follow It?
This diet is comprised of all the necessary components like calcium, protein, fiber and vitamins that are responsible for the functioning of internal organs of the body, brain and also hair & nails. This is a fully balanced diet.
The best thing about this diet is that you don’t need to track your calories while eating these. You only have to eat the required items including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy and protein products. You have to cut down your salt intake.
This diet is specially formulated for people who are very concerned about their health and always take care of their diet. It is a long term diet in which you don’t have to starve yourself and give up on your favorite food. You can enjoy your favorite dishes too. All you need to do is to follow some basic rules of this diet.
Rules Of DASH Diet:
- The first thing to keep in mind while following the DASH diet is, the quality of food is more important than the quantity of food.
- Drink at least 2 liters of fluid daily.
- Eat 5 meals per day and one meal should not be more than 215 g in weight.
- Your daily calorie intake should be around 2,000-2,500 kcal.
- You can not have sweets more than 5 times per week.
- Your diet will include more cereals, seeds, beans, lean meat, and vegetables.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and soda.
- Including the basic meals, you can have only 8 snacks a day.
- Avoid smoking, drinking or other kind intoxication. It’s strictly prohibited.
- Cut down the salt intake. You can have only 2 tablespoons of salt per day.
- Include whole grains. Use whole-wheat bread.
- Say NO to smoked or fatty foods, pickles, pastry, canned fish, and meat.
What To Eat On A DASH Diet?
The first thing you need to do before getting started with the DASH diet is to set your goals – whether you want to shred some extra pounds or you want to become more healthy. If you want to lose weight, then you have to maintain a calorie deficit. You need to reduce your servings. And if you want to follow this diet for your lifetime, then you can follow it as it is.
These are the things you have to include in your DASH diet:
- Cereals: At least 7 servings per day (one serving = a slice of bread, ½ cup of cooked pasta, ½ cup of porridge.)
- Fruit: You can have5 servings per day (one serving = 1 fruit, ¼ cup of dried fruit, ½ cup of juice.)
- Vegetables: You can have 5 servings per day (one serving = ½ cup of boiled vegetables.)
- Non-fat dairy products: You can have 2-3 servings per day (one serving = 50 g of cheese or 0.15 liters of milk.)
- Seeds, Beans, And Nuts: You can have only 5 servings a week (one serving = 40 g)
- Animal and vegetable fats : 3 servings per day (one serving = 1 tsp of olive or linseed oil.)
- Sweets: Only 5 times a week (one tsp of honey or jam.)
- Fluids: 2 liters (67 fl oz) per day (water, green tea, juice.)
- Protein: Have 0.2 kg (7 oz) of lean meat or fish, eggs per day.
Things To Avoid On A DASH Diet:
Obviously, you need to avoid certain unhealthy products during this diet. These typical unhealthy food items include junk food, fried, oily, sugary and salty products. You have to avoid drinking alcohol, sodas and give up other harmful habits.
How To Make Your DASH Diet Plan?
Formulating the DASH diet plan is not a big deal. You can plan it by keeping in mind your goals and the above mentioned basic rules of the DASH diet. Make a list of things you’re allowed to eat and also the things you need to avoid. As we already mentioned, if you want to lose weight through this diet then, simply reduce the number of servings.
There is nothing special apart from it. Simply frame your plan and stick to it. Be consistent and positive for reaching your goals. You will definitely see the changes in your body after following this diet.
DASH diet is completely safe and anyone can follow it. It gives all the necessary nutrients to our body and makes it healthier. This is an effective weight loss diet in which you don’t need to stay hungry. You only have to eat the right things in the right proportion. That’s it!