India’s second largest telecom company Airtel too have now launched VoLTE based voice calls which is made over 4G LTE connections. Just like Jio, Airtel too is offering the same for Free.
Last year Mukesh Ambani led Reliance Jio changed the face of Telecom in India by launching the first VoLTE services in India, that is “Voice over LTE”. Jio kept the edge of the market by offering unlimited Free voice calls along with the cheapest high-speed data in India, which is also the cheapest in the world. Due to same, other all telecom providers in India faced a huge challenge for their survival in the country.
Airtel on other side has been in war with Jio since it’s beginning. Be it cheaper data or cheaper calls. They kept on revising their plans. Now, Airtel has took yet another huge step for survival, that is Free VoLTE calls. Just Jio, Airtel VoLTE calls also work on its 4G network with HD voice call quality and is faster than its normal calls. VoLTE calls also have greater coverage and less battery consumption because the network don’t require to constantly switch to 3G/2G network for making calls.
As of now Airtel has launched VoLTE calls only in Mumbai which will be expanded all over the country in next few months. There is no extra cost for Airtel VoLTE voice calls, it will work with the existing plan or packs benefits.
How to get Airtel VoLTE service started?
As we said VoLTE Calls works on 4G network, of course first of all you must have a 4G enabled smartphone. However, i doubt not all 4G smartphones are compatible with Airtel VoLTE as of now because they have list few smartphones as of now on their official page. You can check the list here. Let’s take a look at complete process of starting Airtel VoLTE:
- Check if your phone is listed with Airtel VoLTE services at the link given above.
- Update your phone to the latest Software updates from phone manufacturer.
- Make sure you are having 4G Airtel sim (If not, you can get it delivered at your door-step from Airtel)
- Verify that the VoLTE voice calling feature has been enabled on your smartphone by following the below steps:
- For iOS: Settings -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Data Options -> Enable 4G -> Turn on Voice & Data
- For Android: Settings -> Settings -> Mobile Network -> Turn on VoLTE call
- For users with Dual SIM handsets, Airtel SIM should be inserted in the SIM slot with data capability and network mode as “4G/3G/2G (Auto)”. Follow these steps to enable the same – Settings -> Sim networks -> Preferred network type -> 4G/3G/2G
- Settings may differ from one handset manufacturer to another. In case you need assistance, please call 121.
That’s it. Now enjoy VoLTE Free calls from Airtel too. Also don’t forget to claim your 60GB Free Data for 6 months from Airtel.